Today I’m here to clear up what Zillow is and what Zillow isn’t. Zillow is by far the largest real estate search portal, and along with Trulia (who they recently acquired), accounts for over 60% of home search traffic. The other 40% is taken up by Realtor.com and the big brokerages.

For buyers, Zillow is an awesome place to begin your home search. There is a ton of good general information, market information and area information, and you can get a good sense of the market prices in your area as well as who the top agents are. This is all good.

However, Zillow is not the place you should search for a home if you are less than six months out from buying. If you’re really serious about starting your property search, Zillow’s information isn’t the most accurate or up to date. You will come across some great properties that you will come to find are either sold, expired, or under contract. A site like ours updates in real time. By using a Realtor’s home search website, you will have a direct feed to the active listings on the market and won’t have to waste time looking at homes that are unavailable.

“If you’re not working with a Realtor, you’ll miss out on a lot of opportunities.”

If you’re not working with a Realtor when buying, you’ll miss out on a lot of opportunities. Work with a professional who will send you information on active properties and give you a good sense of confidence that they know the market.

Sellers can get a lot of value out of Zillow, too. You can check out neighborhood prices, among other things. However, your Zestimate may or may not be accurate. A real estate professional has the information you need to make a better decision.

If you have any questions about Zillow, we’d be happy to answer them and are always happy to help you out. Just give us a call or send us an email. We look forward to hearing from you!